Our forum runs best with JavaScript enabled !

Good luck on EV cars

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Good luck on EV cars

Post by 8DonCo Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:33 am

Families shocked when battery replacement for electric vehicle tops $20,000

Some electric car owners, especially those with earlier models, have been shocked to find out how much it costs to replace their batteries.

“I don't understand why they make the battery so expensive when you have to change it," Scarborough resident Phyllis Lau said, who owns a 2018 KIA Soul all-electric vehicle.

Lau’s electric SUV came with a warranty for the battery that covers 160,000 km, or eight years, whichever comes first.
The family said this year their vehicle clocked in more than 170,000 kilometres, which put them outside the warranty period when the battery failed.

When the vehicle wouldn’t work, Lau took it to her local dealership and was told it needed a battery replacement. With the new battery, labour and taxes, she said it would cost about $23,000.

Even though the vehicle was outside the warranty period, KIA agreed to pay for half the cost of a replacement battery.

“They won't fully cover the cost. They say the best they can do is half and half – I pay 50 per cent and they pay 50 per cent," said Lau.

Ken Edwardson of St. Catharines, Ont. bought a used 2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid four years ago, and when the battery failed, he was shocked to be told to replace it; with labour and taxes, it would cost about $20,000.

“At the dealership, he looked it up online and said you’re not going to like this. It was about $15,000 for the battery plus labour and taxes,” he said.
Edwardson feels it’s not worth it to invest $20,000 in a car that is now over ten years old.

“I just wasn't expecting that kind of price to replace the battery,” he said.
At the University of Toronto Electric Vehicle Research Centre, Director Olivier Trescases said complete battery failure is rare, and should not deter anyone from buying an electric vehicle as it is normal to have some batteries fail when a product is mass produced.

Trescases adds the EV batteries being manufactured now are far superior to batteries that were made a decade ago.

However, Trescases does say anyone considering a used electric vehicle, or has an aging one, has to take into consideration the age of the battery and whether or not it is still under warranty.

“Those very unfortunate owners of EVs that have to have their batteries replaced, yes it will be very expensive. It all comes down to whether the degradation of the battery is within the warranty clause or not."
In Lau’s case, she decided not to go ahead with the battery replacement and returned the car to her finance company. Lau said she had been told by the company that it will be auctioned off, and she may be responsible for any difference owing.
CTV News Toronto reached out to KIA Canada regarding Lau’s case, and a spokesperson said: “Kia Canada’s files indicate that on July 7, 2022, a Kia Canada Support Technician formally requested from the dealership, a copy of the results of its inspection and resulting diagnosis from the inspection of Ms. Lau’s vehicle. Unfortunately, a response was not received from the dealership, indicating that the issue of disrepair had been resolved by the dealership, without the need [for] intervention by Kia Canada.”

“It is now apparent that Ms. Lau’s vehicle was not repaired. Further, we are advised that Ms. Lau has relinquished the vehicle. Unfortunately, without access to the vehicle, Kia Canada is unable to comment on the diagnosis of the vehicle or status of the battery at the time of alleged failure.”
Ford of Canada directed Edwardson to work with his dealership on his battery issue, but Edwardson decided not to proceed with paying $20,000 to replace the battery. Edwardson is still able to drive his hybrid vehicle using just gasoline power.
There is a new electric car company starting up in Canada called VinFast, which is a Vietnamese car brand headquartered in Singapore taking a different approach to EV ownership.

According to the company’s website, when customers purchase VinFast EVs, the battery cost is excluded from the vehicle purchase price, and customers pay monthly subscription fees to lease a battery.
With a battery subscription, the company said it bears responsibility for battery repairs, maintenance, and replacement costs resulting from technical defects to provide customers with a worry-free experience for the life of the vehicle. 

Good luck on EV cars JQrjmZ
8DonCo

8DonCo

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Good luck on EV cars

Post by 8DonCo Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:33 am

Tesla battery replacement cost varies depending on the labor and parts needed. Typically, the most basic battery replacement in tesla costs between $13,000 and $14,000. For the Model S premium sedan, replacing a Tesla battery costs around $13,000-$20,000. Model 3 entry-level sedan and Model X premium SUV battery replacement can cost at least $13,000 and $14,000 respectively.  

Also, you may have to pay around $20-200 for replacement parts like wiring and connectors. The labor charge may cost you nearly $175 per hour. Always be ready to shell out a few more dollars in additional labor charges if the repairs are complex or have any problems with the replacement.  

8DonCo

8DonCo

Back to top Go down

Post by BeiBei Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:04 am

8DonCo wrote:Tesla battery replacement cost varies depending on the labor and parts needed. Typically, the most basic battery replacement in tesla costs between $13,000 and $14,000. For the Model S premium sedan, replacing a Tesla battery costs around $13,000-$20,000. Model 3 entry-level sedan and Model X premium SUV battery replacement can cost at least $13,000 and $14,000 respectively.  

Also, you may have to pay around $20-200 for replacement parts like wiring and connectors. The labor charge may cost you nearly $175 per hour. Always be ready to shell out a few more dollars in additional labor charges if the repairs are complex or have any problems with the replacement.  

Isn’t that still cheaper than gas? I don’t think you need to replace battery every 100,000 miles.
BeiBei

BeiBei

Back to top Go down

Post by hoàng tử lưng gù Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:41 am

8DonCo wrote:Families shocked when battery replacement for electric vehicle tops $20,000

Some electric car owners, especially those with earlier models, have been shocked to find out how much it costs to replace their batteries.

“I don't understand why they make the battery so expensive when you have to change it," Scarborough resident Phyllis Lau said, who owns a 2018 KIA Soul all-electric vehicle.

Lau’s electric SUV came with a warranty for the battery that covers 160,000 km, or eight years, whichever comes first.
The family said this year their vehicle clocked in more than 170,000 kilometres, which put them outside the warranty period when the battery failed.

When the vehicle wouldn’t work, Lau took it to her local dealership and was told it needed a battery replacement. With the new battery, labour and taxes, she said it would cost about $23,000.

Even though the vehicle was outside the warranty period, KIA agreed to pay for half the cost of a replacement battery.

“They won't fully cover the cost. They say the best they can do is half and half – I pay 50 per cent and they pay 50 per cent," said Lau.

Ken Edwardson of St. Catharines, Ont. bought a used 2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid four years ago, and when the battery failed, he was shocked to be told to replace it; with labour and taxes, it would cost about $20,000.

“At the dealership, he looked it up online and said you’re not going to like this. It was about $15,000 for the battery plus labour and taxes,” he said.
Edwardson feels it’s not worth it to invest $20,000 in a car that is now over ten years old.

“I just wasn't expecting that kind of price to replace the battery,” he said.
At the University of Toronto Electric Vehicle Research Centre, Director Olivier Trescases said complete battery failure is rare, and should not deter anyone from buying an electric vehicle as it is normal to have some batteries fail when a product is mass produced.

Trescases adds the EV batteries being manufactured now are far superior to batteries that were made a decade ago.

However, Trescases does say anyone considering a used electric vehicle, or has an aging one, has to take into consideration the age of the battery and whether or not it is still under warranty.

“Those very unfortunate owners of EVs that have to have their batteries replaced, yes it will be very expensive. It all comes down to whether the degradation of the battery is within the warranty clause or not."
In Lau’s case, she decided not to go ahead with the battery replacement and returned the car to her finance company. Lau said she had been told by the company that it will be auctioned off, and she may be responsible for any difference owing.
CTV News Toronto reached out to KIA Canada regarding Lau’s case, and a spokesperson said: “Kia Canada’s files indicate that on July 7, 2022, a Kia Canada Support Technician formally requested from the dealership, a copy of the results of its inspection and resulting diagnosis from the inspection of Ms. Lau’s vehicle. Unfortunately, a response was not received from the dealership, indicating that the issue of disrepair had been resolved by the dealership, without the need [for] intervention by Kia Canada.”

“It is now apparent that Ms. Lau’s vehicle was not repaired. Further, we are advised that Ms. Lau has relinquished the vehicle. Unfortunately, without access to the vehicle, Kia Canada is unable to comment on the diagnosis of the vehicle or status of the battery at the time of alleged failure.”
Ford of Canada directed Edwardson to work with his dealership on his battery issue, but Edwardson decided not to proceed with paying $20,000 to replace the battery. Edwardson is still able to drive his hybrid vehicle using just gasoline power.
There is a new electric car company starting up in Canada called VinFast, which is a Vietnamese car brand headquartered in Singapore taking a different approach to EV ownership.

According to the company’s website, when customers purchase VinFast EVs, the battery cost is excluded from the vehicle purchase price, and customers pay monthly subscription fees to lease a battery.
With a battery subscription, the company said it bears responsibility for battery repairs, maintenance, and replacement costs resulting from technical defects to provide customers with a worry-free experience for the life of the vehicle. 

It is just about how you calculate your math.  An average EV cost $50k/150,000 miles=35 cents + $3 maintenance and repair fees a day ===> resell value after 10 years is reasonable with your class or not.  With an EV, don't buy used, and don't keep it more than 10 years.
hoàng tử lưng gù

hoàng tử lưng gù

Back to top Go down

Post by ga10 Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:01 am

BeiBei wrote:Isn’t that still cheaper than gas? I don’t think you need to replace battery every 100,000 miles.

People can afford to pay $100/week for gas each week but having to come up with $15K to replace a battery is a big challenge. The $100 gas saving each week is already spent élsewhere and not put aside to buy a new battery!
ga10

ga10

Back to top Go down

Post by BeiBei Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 am

ga10 wrote:
BeiBei wrote:Isn’t that still cheaper than gas? I don’t think you need to replace battery every 100,000 miles.

People can afford to pay $100/week for gas each week but having to come up with $15K to replace a battery is a big challenge.  The $100 gas saving each week is already spent élsewhere and not put aside to buy a new battery!

With gas prices at almost 8 bux a gallon, I don’t think 100 is enough to xia rang cho 1 tuan sis. 😂
BeiBei

BeiBei

Back to top Go down

Post by Tu* Khoai Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:16 am

kakakakka, cho nên cu Vượng dụ khị dân Mỹ "mướn" pin của xe "Vinfat" mỗi tháng sau khi mua xe của khứa thì thiên hạ khỏi lo mua pin mới thay khi hết pin ...

Good luck on EV cars 3541072738 Good luck on EV cars 3541072738 Good luck on EV cars 3541072738 Good luck on EV cars 3541072738

HEY CHUMP! YOU'RE FIRED

CHUMP AKA THE BIG LIE

Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958
Tu* Khoai

Tu* Khoai

Back to top Go down

Post by Tu* Khoai Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:23 am

I still drive my 22 years old Durango, and it still runs like a charm. I don't have to worry about buying the battery pack that cost $23,000 dollars every 8 years. Imagine with that cost, I could conceivably bought 2 new vehicles in the past 22 years that I have the Durango.

The hell with EV sh!t Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958

HEY CHUMP! YOU'RE FIRED

CHUMP AKA THE BIG LIE

Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958 Good luck on EV cars 2023431958
Tu* Khoai

Tu* Khoai

Back to top Go down

Post by nhatrangdep Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:30 am

vây. mà làm gì ??

mình lái chiếc Honda gần 150k miles ..mong sao lái được 10 năm :pray1
nhatrangdep

nhatrangdep

Back to top Go down

Post by ga10 Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:30 am

BeiBei wrote:With gas prices at almost 8 bux a gallon, I don’t think 100 is enough to xia rang cho 1 tuan sis. 😂

Where I live it's about $3.80/gal and a little cheaper at Costco. Since my family is still WFH partially, our gas cost is still okay.

ga10

ga10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tu* Khoai Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:33 am

nhatrangdep wrote:vây. mà làm gì ??

Honda chạy được 30 năm .. Chưa tới 10 năm thì đâu có si nhê gì đâu em . Miễn sao thay nhớt đều đều và thay bu-ri với dây điện bu-ri thì xe em chạy phà phà ...

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

HEY CHUMP! YOU'RE FIRED

CHUMP AKA THE BIG LIE

Tu* Khoai

Tu* Khoai

Back to top Go down

Post by Tu* Khoai Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:37 am

ga10 wrote:
BeiBei wrote:With gas prices at almost 8 bux a gallon, I don’t think 100 is enough to xia rang cho 1 tuan sis. 😂

Where I live it's about $3.80/gal and a little cheaper at Costco.  Since my family is still WFH partially, our gas cost is still okay.

where I live it's only 5.69 for premium 91 @ Costco. I'm not sure where is 8 bucks come from.

HEY CHUMP! YOU'RE FIRED

CHUMP AKA THE BIG LIE

Tu* Khoai

Tu* Khoai

Back to top Go down

Post by nhatrangdep Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:42 am

Tu* Khoai wrote:
nhatrangdep wrote:vây. mà làm gì ??

Honda chạy được 30 năm .. Chưa tới 10 năm thì đâu có si nhê gì đâu em .  Miễn sao thay nhớt đều đều và thay bu-ri với dây điện bu-ri thì xe em chạy phà phà ...

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

vậy là chọn đúng xe gùi :pray1

chạy tới 150k so far chưa bị hư hao gì :pray1
nhatrangdep

nhatrangdep

Back to top Go down

Post by BeiBei Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:27 pm

Tu* Khoai wrote:
ga10 wrote:

Where I live it's about $3.80/gal and a little cheaper at Costco.  Since my family is still WFH partially, our gas cost is still okay.

where I live it's only 5.69 for premium 91 @ Costco.  I'm not sure where is 8 bucks come from.

8bux la may thang be truoc. Now ne.Good luck on EV cars D104e010
🙊
BeiBei

BeiBei

Back to top Go down

Post by nhatrangdep Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Costco 4.60/gal ...đi Costco đổ xăng đi ..
nhatrangdep

nhatrangdep

Back to top Go down

Post by 8DonCo Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:31 pm

xăng ở Mỹ vẫn "rẻ thúi" so với các nước mà , dân Mỹ mấy chục năm nhờ "China" xài đồ rẻ quen rồi, giờ lên giá nên complain   Good luck on EV cars 3507324239

8DonCo

8DonCo

Back to top Go down

Post by ga10 Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Eventually everyone will have to switch to Electric cars. However I think the battery cost has to go down & time to recharge the battery has to be quicker first. Also hey have to have more recharging stations. My biggest concern is that the car would run out of battery and no recharge station nearby.
ga10

ga10

Back to top Go down

Post by 8DonCo Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:36 pm

ga10 wrote:Eventually everyone will have to switch to Electric cars.  However I think the battery cost has to go down & time to recharge the battery has to be quicker first.  Also hey have to have more recharging stations.  My biggest concern is that the car would run out of battery and no recharge station nearby.

Do not worry

tới khi EV cars mà popular như gas cars thì we no longer exist  Very Happy

8DonCo

8DonCo

Back to top Go down

Post by BeiBei Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:40 pm

ga10 wrote:Eventually everyone will have to switch to Electric cars.  However I think the battery cost has to go down & time to recharge the battery has to be quicker first.  Also hey have to have more recharging stations.  My biggest concern is that the car would run out of battery and no recharge station nearby.

Get a hybrid. It runs half on battery then switch to gas when battery is gone.

It used to be .15 cents to charge and I would pay 6 bux for a full battery. Now, it’s .46 cents and I’m paying an arm and a leg.
BeiBei

BeiBei

Back to top Go down

Post by hoàng tử lưng gù Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:55 pm

8DonCo wrote:

Do not worry

tới khi EV cars mà popular như gas cars thì we no longer exist  Very Happy

Definitely agree. Long way for it happen.
hoàng tử lưng gù

hoàng tử lưng gù

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top