Our forum runs best with JavaScript enabled !

Bu'n o*i - sauce kho ca'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bu'n o*i - sauce kho ca' Empty Bu'n o*i - sauce kho ca'

Post by Mai01 Tue May 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Bu'n o*i,

lu'c tru*o*'c Bu'n co' cho co^ng thu*'c la`m sauce đe^? kho ca', Mai co' la`m ro^`i, ngon la('m, ca'm o*n Bu'n nhie^`u ... gio*` he^'t sauce đo' ro^`i, ma` kie^'m kho^ng ra ca'i thread đo' nu*a~, Bu'n cho la.i co^ng thu*'c đo' du`m nha, hay anh chi. em bie^'t kie^'m ca'i co^ng thu*'c đo' o*? đa^u, thi` keo' le^n du`m, ca'm o*n nhie^`u

Mai01

Back to top Go down

Bu'n o*i - sauce kho ca' Empty Re: Bu'n o*i - sauce kho ca'

Post by Jen-Lo Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 am

RECIPE FOR CÁ KHO:

Here is my simple recipe for making foolproof cá kho. I say foolproof because if you follow this recipe, you pretty much do not have to worry about guessing how much sugar and how much fish sauce to season in order to get that perfect balance flavor. I think that's the part that could be intimidating for some people who have never made this classic braised dish before. However, once you got the technique down, it's actually not that bad. It just takes some trials to get the hang of it. Your technique will get better the more you make it, and before you know it, you may perfect the dish without even realizing it.

Making the simple sauce for seasoning:
-> 1 bottle of fish sauce (Squid Brand)
-> 3 cups sugar
In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the sugar with the fish sauce and stir until the sugar is dissolved. When the mixture just comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Skim off the foam if any. When the sauce is cool, the consistency should be slightly thicken but not too thick.
*Note: This sauce is all you need, besides nước màu, to season your fish. You can store the left over in a glass jar at room temperature or in the fridge and use it later.  It lasts for a long time.  This sauce can also be used to make many other braised dishes such as Sườn Rim Mặn, Gà Xào Xả Ớt, Gà Xào Gừng, or anything that is similar in technique. Very convenient, right?

Ingredients to make cá kho thơm:
-> 1 whole catfish, cleaned and cut into steaks about 3/4" thick. Save the head and head portions and the tail for soup if prefer.
-> 2-3 Tbsp of oil
-> About 2 tsp minced garlic
-> About 2 tsp minced scallions
-> The above seasoning sauce (amount varies depends on the amount of fish)
-> Homemade or store bought nước màu (thick caramel)
-> 1/4 fresh pineapple, cut in half lengthwise and sliced to about 1/4" thick
-> Ground black pepper
In a large skillet that can fit all your catfish steaks in a single layer for even braising, heat the oil and fry the minced garlic until fragrant. Add the minced scallions. Mix well with the garlic. Add the catfish steaks in a single layer. Keep the heat on medium to low. Then add the seasoning fish sauce mixture you made. The amount you add will all depend on the amount of fish. So this is the part that you will need to rely on your judgement. For my batch you see in the picture i.e. about 6 large steaks (about 3 lbs), I added about 6 Tbsp of the sauce. Let the fish simmer on low heat to absorb the sauce for 2-3 minutes. Then add a few tsp of nước màu. This depends on your visual judgement. Add a little at a time until you see that the color is right. Remember, as the fish simmered and the sauce is reduced, the caramel color will be deepened, so do not add too much or your fish color will be too dark.  Continue to simmer on low heat to caramelization as you can see from my video. Flip the fish over once if needed for even braising.  You can see that the fish has released some juice. If your seasoning is the right amount (taste it), you can just let the fish juice combined with the seasoning sauce continue to simmer to the right caramelization consistency. Add your pineapple and simmer to let the pineapple soak in the sauce, and then turn off the heat and it's done. However, if your seasoning is off (i.e. too much or not enough) by tasting it, then you'll need to either add a little bit of water (if too much seasoning sauce) to lighten the taste or add a little more seasoning sauce (if not enough) to increase the flavor. Use your taste bud as your guide at this point. Then continue to let it simmer to caramelization.  Add the pineapple and let it soak in the sauce. Sprinkle with some ground black pepper. It's done.
*Note:  I highly recommend using homemade nước màu if you can make it.  This is really the secret that will give your fish the golden brown color that it is. It tastes better, too. I found that store-bought does not produce that golden brown caramel color but rather a dark brown, looks less appealing. The taste definitely can't compared to homemade. I will try to make a video of making homemade nước màu later for those of you who are interested. It is a good and essential staple in your pantry for making those classic Viet braised dishes.
Jen-Lo

Jen-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bún Wed May 29, 2019 6:22 am

Mai01

Jen-Lo postes rồi ha!
Tác giả của món đó tên Hollie Phuong-Hong Nguyen.
Mình đang thèm đồ việt muốn chết luôn à. Nghe cá kho tộ là khóc 1 giòng sông
Hu hu hu

Jen-Lo

Thanks em
Bún

Bún

Back to top Go down

Post by tech Wed May 29, 2019 11:10 am

chị Bún: chị đang ở Denver?

-tech-

Love This Backhand & Backhand Slice
tech

tech

Back to top Go down

Post by saurieng2016 Wed May 29, 2019 11:33 am

công thức sauce này chắc ăn với bánh bột lọc chắc là ngon lắm scratch Thumb Up

saurieng2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bún Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 pm

tech wrote:chị Bún: chị đang ở Denver?

-tech-

Europe tech. Mai về
Bún

Bún

Back to top Go down

Post by ga10 Wed May 29, 2019 1:14 pm

1 chai nước mắm mực khoảng 24 ounces vậy tương đương cở 3 cups nước mắm luôn. Vậy công thức ratio là 1:1 nếu 0 muốn làm hết nguyên chai nước mắm?
ga10

ga10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen-Lo Wed May 29, 2019 1:35 pm

ga10 wrote:1 chai nước mắm mực khoảng 24 ounces vậy tương đương cở 3 cups nước mắm luôn.  Vậy công thức ratio là 1:1 nếu 0 muốn làm hết nguyên chai nước mắm?

Yah, chị chia nước sauce làm 3 rồi thử coi sao. Em save xuống chứ chưa có làm vì cứ quên mua chai hiệu Squid. Nhà có red boat và 3 con cua.
Jen-Lo

Jen-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mai01 Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Ca'm o*n Bu'n va` Jen nhie^`u nha , Jen nhanh nhe.n qua', 1am ma` co`n vo^ tra? lo*`i lie^`n

Ga` no'i va^y. thi` de^~ nho*' ro^`i, cu*' 1:1 đu*o*`ng va` nu*o*'c ma(m đe^? la`m

a` Ga`, co' la^`n Ga` ho?i ba'nh u' co' tru*'ng muo^'i, Mai bie^'t ngu*o*`i la`m ba'n, la^`n sau co' đa(.c thi` cho Ga` hay

Mai01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen-Lo Thu May 30, 2019 10:39 am

Mai01 wrote:Ca'm o*n Bu'n va` Jen nhie^`u nha , Jen nhanh nhe.n qua', 1am ma` co`n vo^ tra? lo*`i lie^`n

Ga` no'i va^y. thi` de^~ nho*' ro^`i, cu*' 1:1 đu*o*`ng va` nu*o*'c ma(m đe^? la`m

a` Ga`, co' la^`n Ga` ho?i ba'nh u' co' tru*'ng muo^'i, Mai bie^'t ngu*o*`i la`m ba'n, la^`n sau co' đa(.c thi` cho Ga` hay

Hôm đó ngủ không được nên mò vô xóm chợ. Sis cũng dùng fish sauce hiệu Squid gì đó phải không?
Jen-Lo

Jen-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by ga10 Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 am

Hôm trước Bố hỏi Gà chỉ cho him cách kho thịt và cá cho ngon. Gà nấu ăn ít khi đo lường mà chỉ nếm thử cho nên khó chỉ cho him quá nên kho dùm him thôi.

Để weekend này Gà pha thử 1 hộp nhỏ rồi ram thịt thử coi có vừa miệng thì làm cho Bố dùng! Hình như người già taste buds họ cũng thay đổi. Gà kho thịt hoặc cá cho Bố thì he nói ăn ngon nhưng yêu cầu mai mốt đừng dùng tỏi hoặc gừng. Gà nghỉ kho cá mà 0 có tỏi hay gừng thì sợ tanh lắm nhưng Bố bây giờ lại thấy 2 mùi đó hôi quá!
ga10

ga10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top